Preventative cleaning is the procedure of cleaning teeth with the help of a dentist. In dental terms, it is known as prophylaxis. The tooth is a strong part of your body but is still very sensitive and needs proper care. If you want healthy, strong, and germ-free teeth, then you must get an appointment with a dentist and get preventative cleaning done. Sunny Dental are always ready to help you achieve your dental goals.
When is preventative cleaning (prophylaxis) necessary?
Preventative cleaning, also known as prophylaxis, is the procedure of cleaning teeth regularly. Everyone needs preventative cleaning to have healthy and clean teeth. But to know how often this treatment is necessary, you must consult with a dentist.
If your oral hygiene practices are good and you have a healthy mouth, then the dentist would most likely recommend preventative cleaning at least twice a year. Patients with gum disease or periodontal disease should get gum maintenance cleaning every 3-4 months. Some patients who have braces or other orthodontic appliances are also recommended to have cleaning done more frequently.
What is preventative cleaning treatment?
Our dentists perform preventative cleaning in a process that includes several stages to ensure that your mouth and gums are in good condition. As everyone’s teeth are unique, your cleaning process will also differ according to your teeth’s condition. Many cleanings, however, follow a similar pattern.
- The dentaist will first do an oral examination. This is when they place the little round mirror in your mouth to check your teeth and gums before the beginning the cleaning.
- X-rays are done if needed.
- periodontal charting, or gum measurements, are done to record how much inflammation are seen in the gum.
- The plaque and calculus will next be removed from the tooth surfaces using an ultrasonic scaler. An ultrasonic scaler is a high-frequency vibration device. It vibrates off bacteria and flushes them away using water.
- Then, your teeth are polished using a brush with a soft rubber tip.
- Finally, there is the fluoride treatment. Fluoride are “teeth vitamins” that prevent cavities. This should not, however, prevent you from completing your usual dental hygiene regimen at home.
Why do most people need preventative cleaning appointments?
You may be wondering why your dentist thinks you need a preventative cleaning even if you take wonderful care of your teeth at home. Some dental disorders cannot be felt or seen in their early stages, but an appointment with a dentist can detect many of those problems early on, and it is best to prevent them as soon as possible.
For example, you may not feel any discomfort or see any visible signs of a cavity inside the month when it grows. They are nearly unnoticeable in the early stages. But a preventative cleaning appointment will most likely detect the cavity and cure it before it grows bigger.